Thursday, January 5, 2012

Morning person

By: Ally Blumenfeld

I’m someone who can fall asleep practically anywhere and sleep through just about anything.  Last night I fell asleep on a top bunk in a room of four, to the sounds of a city, with what I imagined to be moonlight pouring in through the window.  When I closed my eyes I could have been anywhere.  But then I heard a rooster crowing.

Right… I’m in Nicaragua.

It’s only about a quarter to 9 AM right now, but it already feels like a long morning.  With no watches or alarm clocks, my roommates and played guessing games with the time: one of us waking up at almost 4 ready to shower and two of us popping up at 6 thinking it’s almost time for breakfast.  And I’m not much of a morning person.  As a writer, I used to say I did all my best thinking at night.  During my weeks of winter break before leaving for Nicaragua, I’d sleep in almost every day.  That is, of course, not to say that I don’t appreciate mornings.  When I get the chance, I love watching the sunrise… and I love the stillness of the early morning – feeling like you’re the only person awake on the planet.

So I think it’s time to become a morning person.  It’s a much better time for reflection.  Our first day was a whirlwind of new sights and smells and ideas… by nighttime we were almost too delirious to debrief.  But when I woke up this morning I felt ready to make sense of it all.  I wrote in my journal what I was seeing, thinking and feeling… and as I later stepped out onto the patio, greeted by cool air and a pale blue sky, I felt ready for whatever today brings.

morning view
me and blanca, the resident puppy dog
Jhon, Christine, Lisa and Julie

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. You do have a voice. I know you'll do good there. And I didn't make a grammar mistake with that sentence. Except that might have been a fragment. <--This one too.

    Love you.

    -NasKar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ally! during my first morning in nica, i woke up early too and wrote a poem about the parrots swooping through the air and singing out their song. waking up in CEPAD felt like paradise! enjoy your delegation - can't wait to debrief with you when you come back!

    ~bryan

    ReplyDelete