Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Two Worlds, One City

By: Stephanie DiCindio


Buenas! We’re finally settled in to our home away from home at CEPAD in Managua. After a very long emotionally challenging day, we all find ourselves reflecting back on the days experiences. In order to understand the socio-economic differences found in Managua, Nicaragua’s capital, we toured two extremes found only blocks from each other. Our first stop, at a hustling market, we were given a scenario in the form of buying food for our “own family”. My family consisted of three other delegate members and myself. We were given the role of a public school teacher who made about 80 cuertavas , equally about $3.75 in US currency. It was my family’s task to go out into the market and buy enough food to supply us with three meals for the day. Walking through the market my mind was being swarmed with different thoughts and my body consumed with different feelings. We stopped in front of a stand selling produce where we met a young boy, who couldn’t be older then 8 or 9 years, who stuck with us throughout the market, telling us where to go if we need direction. His hair was a mess and his clothes all dirty, but he continued to walk around with the little charisma he had left in him. The smells of fish, sewage, seed, and oils filled my nostrils as I walked around. It was difficult to see the conditions the food was being sold in, and even harder knowing that in this instance, this was the only place I could get food for “my family”. After a lot of thought and bargaining we made out ok, with four small potatoes, three eggs, ten cuertavas worth of cooking oil in a plastic bag, tomatoes, and a pound of rice and another of beans. What a culture shock it was to walk out of there with the little food we had, knowing that almost all the people back in the market, would be going home with half of that.
A few miles up the street we pulled in front of a gigantic shopping mall, full of Lacoste, Under Armour, Nike, and Steve Madden stores. Every time you turned around there was a place to buy something to eat or drink. A cup of coffee in the mall had cost the same as my three meals we had purchased earlier in the day. The individuals shopping were adorned with their expensive jewelry, elegant makeup, and their clean appearances. I was shocked. How could a couple miles bring about such a change in scenery. I honestly felt out of place walking through the mall after being in the market. Instead of seeing children begging for money, they were begging for another ride on the toy trains. In one day, I cannot believe all that I have seen and witnessed. All I wanted all day was to share this with my family and friends. It was unbelievable, and what was even more unbelievable, was that we were in only in Nica for just a few hours, and our lives have already changed.


Until next time, Adios mi amores !

No comments:

Post a Comment